Maidstone Public Realm
Following the success of initial developments on the High Street in 2012/13, Maidstone Borough Council invested a further 3 million in Week Street and Gabriel’s Hill/Lower Stone Street, down to the junction with Palace Avenue.
The designs draw upon the rich heritage of Maidstone and include squares at key junctions to link with side roads. For example, Iguanodon Square, at the junction with St Faith’s Street has been designed to link with Maidstone Museum. The council hope it will remind visitors that an Iguanodon skeleton was found in Maidstone.
With the hope of increased footfall traffic, Maidstone Borough Council were looking for a sealer that would be able to provide long-term protection against paver destabilisation. Furthermore, with an array of bars and restaurants lining the areas of Week Street and Gabriel’s Hill, protection against food and drink stains, as well residue stains left over by discarded chewing gum.
Following successful trials on the Charcon Andover Washed Blocks conducted by Resiblock for contractors Henderson & Taylor Public Works, Resiblock ‘22’ A.F was selected and now utilised in the Maidstone Public Realm project.
The success of Resiblock ‘22’ A.F at Bedford Square in Tavistock, and at Guildhall Shopping Centre in Exeter played a key part in Resiblock’s original recommendation of Resiblock ‘22’ A.F, as both sites experienced similar level of footfall traffic that is expected in the Maidstone project. Resiblock ‘22’ A.F also provides high levels of protection against food and drinks stains.
Benefits at a Glance:
- Single component – fast cure, ensures rapid re-use of the facility
- Significantly reduces staining by food and drink
- Virtually eliminates residual staining by chewing gum oils
- Stabilises jointing sand and inhibits the growth of weeds and grass in joints
- Maintains performance life of pavement
- Project name: Maidstone Public Realm
- Client: Maidstone Borough Council
- Contractor: Henderson & Taylor Public Works
- Site: Week St, Gabriel's Hill and side streets
- Project: Maidstone Public Realm
- Area: 7,790m²
- Paver type: Charcon Andover Washed Block Paving
- Product/s: Resiblock 22AF
- Date: September 2018
- Download PDF