Winchester City Centre
Named, by Royal Mail, as the best place to live Britain in 2019, Winchester is the county town and administrative centre of Hampshire. The city is renowned for its history, heritage and setting and is home to Winchester Cathedral, theatre and museum. In 2007 Winchester City Council put together a series of initiatives and projects to help evolve Winchester for the future, secure its economic prosperity all whilst retaining its essential character. This was named the ‘Winchester Vision’.
As part of the ‘Winchester Vision’, re-paving of the High Street and Square within the city centre took place over the course of 2008-2009 with the installation of a mix of both Granite Block Paving and Granite Flag Paving. Over the course of the past decade the condition of the paving deteriorated due to footfall traffic, despite a regular cleaning regime. When the paving was given its seasonal heavy duty clean in February 2019, it was determined by the City Council that sealing works would take place in the summer to help protect the long-term future of the paving.
CTG Enterprises, who had been chosen as the contractor by the Council, contacted Resiblock with regards to a sealing solution that would give long-term protection against both footfall traffic and cleaning regimes. Resiblock pointed to the success of Resiblock Resiecco at The 02 Arena (successfully installed for a decade) when specifying, which showed both the contractor and client could place their trust in both the brand and the product. Resiblock Resiecco also dries to a clear finish which satisfied the clients request that any solution used would not alter the appearance of the existing Granite Paving.
Stabilisation of the sand filled joint notwithstanding cleaning regimes and trafficking whilst imparting the following additional benefits:
- Prevents jointing sand loss from cleaning regimes & heavy footfall
- Significantly reduces staining by food and drink
- Virtually eliminates residual staining by chewing gum oils
- Inhibits the growth of weeds and grass in joints
- Environmentally friendly – solvent free
- Project name: Winchester City Centre
- Client: Winchester City Council
- Contractor: Streetpave/ CTG Enterprises
- Site: Winchester City Centre
- Project: Winchester City Centre
- Area: High Street & City Square
- Paver type: Granite Block Paving & Granite Slabs
- Product/s: Resiblock Resiecco
- Date: October 2019
- Download PDF