Princess Road Improvement Works
The Princess Road / Medlock Street roundabout beneath the Mancunian Way was replaced by two new link roads, with new and improved crossings for people on bikes and on foot, to create a safer environment while improving traffic flow to reduce congestion. The scheme was designed to ensure that the area of green space known locally as Rockdove Gardens was retained, with extra green space adjacent to the gardens also provided.
The scheme was part-funded by the Department for Transport’s National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) and the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund.
Manchester City Council realised that whilst the expected benefit of improving the safety and amount of ‘green space’ around the Princess Road Roundabout would be more walkers and cyclists, they also realised that the extra traffic would be detrimental to the long term lifespan of the paving on site. Fears of paver destabilisation, caused by sand loss through the added weight of footfall and vehicle traffic, saw Manchester City Council request the use of a joint stabilising sealer.
The City Council did not have to look far for the answer, as Resiblock could already show the successful history of Resiblock Resiecco following the sealing of Manchester United Football Club. Similar fears of footfall traffic had been the primary concern on Sir Matt Busby Way, but the success of Resiblock here saw Manchester City Council recommend the use of Resiblock Resiecco at Princess Road Roundabout Improvement Works.
Stabilisation of the sand filled joint notwithstanding cleaning regimes and trafficking whilst imparting the following additional benefits:
- Prevents jointing sand loss from cleaning regimes & heavy footfall
- Significantly reduces staining by food and drink
- Virtually eliminates residual staining by chewing gum oils
- Inhibits the growth of weeds and grass in joints
- Environmentally friendly – solvent free
- Case Study
- Project name: Princess Road Improvement Works
- Client: Manchester City Council
- Contractor: PP O'Connor Group Ltd
- Site: Princess Road / Mancunian Way, Manceshter
- Project: Princess Road Roundabout Improvement Works
- Area: 1,700m²
- Paver type: Marshalls Mistral
- Product/s: Resiblock Resiecco
- Date: August 2020
- Download PDF