Hamad International Airport – Landing for the World Cup
Originally opened in 2014, Hamad International Airport has not only surpassed Doha to become the principal airport in Qatar but has also ended Singapore’s Changi Airport’s 7-year dominance by being named as The World’s Best Airport, by Skytrax, in both 2021 and 2022.
The Airport will now also serve as one of the major arrival points for delegates, players and fans of the 2022 FIFA World Cup that is being held in Qatar.
With the global elite of the Footballing World, the Media and tens of thousands of fans set to arrive for the FIFA World Cup, the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority made their own preparations to ensure the smooth running of Hamad International Airport. Concerns were raised as to whether the sudden influx of additional aircraft, the weight of their payloads and the highly increased volumes of footfall traffic could lead to paver destabilisation.
In 2014, Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC), were awarded the status of ‘Resiblock Approved Installer’ following their installation of Resiblock ‘22’ over 232,000m² of Concrete Block Paving at Ras Laffan Port Container Terminal in Qatar. CCC and Resiblock were able to showcase to QCAA the effectiveness, durability and longevity of Resiblock Sealers from the RLP project, and as such, Resiblock ‘22’ was specified to be installed at the airport.
Benefits at a Glance:
- One pack material
- Easy application
- Prevents sand erosion from paver joint
- Prevents the ingress of water and fuel infiltration to the sand laying course
- Maintains structural stability under heavy duty trafficking
- Elastomeric bond works in tandem with paver system
- Case Study
- Project name: Hamad International Airport – Landing for the World Cup
- Client: Qatar Civil Aviation Authority
- Contractor: Consolidating Contractors Compnay (CCC)
- Site: Hamad International Airport, Qatar
- Project: Hamad International Airport
- Area: Site Ongoing
- Paver type: Concrete Block Paving
- Product/s: Resiblock '22'
- Date: November 2022
- Download PDF