Kingsway Regeneration, Swansea
In April 2018, work started on the £12 million Kingsway Infrastructure Project Regeneration scheme, as Swansea City Council looked to turn the Kingsway section of their City Centre into a new ‘digital district’.
Under the scheme Swansea’s Kingsway will be turned into a City Park incorporating new public areas, landscaped park land, cycle tracks and a two-way single lane vehicle route along with the creation of wider pedestrian walkways.
With the introduction of multiple new areas of paved public areas, Swansea City Council were looking for a solution that would stabilise the new Marshall La Linea Paving to prevent paving failure, especially under the weight of the expected increase in footfall traffic. The prevention of sand loss from cleaning regimes, especially mechanical sweepers, also played a big part in Swansea’s decision to find a solution to stabilise the paving. The Council were also keen to ensure that the colour of the paving was not affected.
Following the products success at The FA National Football Centre at St Georges Park in Burton, Resiblock’s patented polymeric jointing sand stabiliser, Resiblock Resifix Commercial, was recommended to Swansea Council. Once thoroughly swept into the joints, Resiblock Resifix Commercial is activated by water to set as a solid joint, thus preventing removal of sand from natural and man-made forces as well as cleaning regimes, but still allow for small elastic deflections which prevents the pavers from destabilisation.
Benefits at a Glance:
- One pack material
- Inhibits the growth of weeds and grass in joints
- Sweeps in like jointing sand
- Simply activate with the addition of water
- 10 times faster to install than traditional pointing methods
- No effect on the colour of the paving
- Environmentally friendly
- Project name: Kingsway Regeneration, Swansea
- Client: Swansea City Council
- Contractor: Dawnus Construction
- Site: Kingsway, Swansea City Centre
- Project: Kingsway Infrastructure Project Regeneration
- Area: 6,100m²
- Paver type: Marshall La Linea 300mmx200mm
- Product/s: Resifix Commercial
- Date: August 2018
- Download PDF