Cyfarthfa Park, Merthyr Tydfil
Cyfarthfa Park, the largest public park in Merthyr Tydfil, is undergoing a major redevelopment thanks to over £3 million investment. The project will work with the community to conserve and enhance the industrial heritage & historic features in Cyfarthfa Park as part of the HLF Parks for People initiative.
The funding is enabling the Council to restore the historic landscape of the Park including repairs to the bandstand, glass houses, improve access and visitor facilities, parking provisions and changes to the Castle forecourt. Works also include improvements to the Walled Garden, Tennis Courts, Bandstand, Lake and Park landscape, Castle Wood Ponds and the Icehouse.
Concern was expressed about jointing sand erosion and paver de-stabilisation to the Car Parking Bays and surrounding areas which are subjected to high volumes of vehicular traffic, loading and delivery vehicles, pedestrian footfall, cleaning regimes (ranging from pressure washing to vacuum sweeping) and environmental elements.
Resiblock ‘22’ was specified, a one pack moisture cured specialist pre-polymer urethane jointing sand stabiliser which is also utilised on Aircraft Aprons to prevent jointing sand erosion from aircraft movement. The product when applied to the paving will stabilise the jointing sand preventing its erosion from all types of trafficking, natural elements, wind, rain, etc., and manmade forces such as pressure washing and vacuum sweeping, providing effectively maintenance free paving.
Easy application, requires no specialist labour. It will inhibit weed and grass growth from the joint whilst providing a significant degree of stain protection. Once cured, it remains fully elastomeric thereby accommodating the small elastic deflections incorporated in the pavement design.
The Benefits at a glance:
- One pack material
- Easy application
- Maintains structural stability
- Prevents sand loss from trafficking, natural elements and manmade forces/ cleaning regimes.
- Inhibits the growth of weeds and grasses in the joints
- Significantly reduces maintenance costs
- Project name: Cyfarthfa Park, Merthyr Tydfil
- Client: Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council
- Contractor: Alun Griffiths Contractors Ltd
- Site: Cyfartha Park, Merthyr Tydfil
- Project: Car Parking Bays Developement
- Area: 1,560m²
- Paver type: Marshalls Tegula Paving
- Product/s: Resiblock '22'
- Date: June 2016